Thursday, January 3, 2013

Coconut Bread

http://nourishedkitchen.com/coconut-flour-bread/
Coconut Flour Bread

So I'm not sure how noticeable it is or not, but I'm doing a grain-free regime now, coupled with a goal to eat 50 effective grams of carbohydrate (or less) per day for 30 days (and possibly longer depending on how it makes me feel). Today is day 4. I had one miserable week of my life several years ago where I ate only 20 effective carbs per day, and that is definitely too low and not sustainable at all (which it wasn't meant to be anyway). I'm also following a Paleo/Gary Taubes style thinking bent, where fat is fine, and important for satiety.

Hence my desire to make this bread.

David has not tried this. He is out of town. But I like it. It is not something I would eat more than one slice per day. It is mostly a way to eat nut butters, or have something to spread cheese on. It is also helpful for getting some calories in a low-carb way when I don't want meat. I tend not to be a big meat eater, and so I'm only eating one meaty meal a day on my grain-free kick. I'm having vegetables and avocado daily and am  having eggs for a meal or snack. So this bread is a nice addition. We'll see how it goes.

This bread has the consistency of cornbread. You can taste the coconut for sure. At times it seems like you might be chewing shredded coconut (which you basically are, except it is dried powdered coconut). The coconut flavor is mild though, and you definitely need to drink water with it.

Mine turned out a little denser than the picture in the original recipe, that may be because I used butter and coconut oil instead of ghee. I don't have any ghee. I also used raw unheated coconut flour that is high in fiber. There are more processed coconut flours out there that may have less fiber and perform different in baking. I don't have any experience with them, and this is the first thing I have ever made with coconut flour.



No comments: