Saturday, February 11, 2012

Juliana's Broccoli Cheese Soup


Juliana's Broccoli Cheese Soup

8 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon tarragon
1/2 bay leaf
1/2 chopped onion
2-4 carrots peeled and chopped as chunky or small as you like it
2 sticks of celery chopped
2 bunches broccoli. I use both heads and one stem, but you can put it all in if you want to. I chop the heads down very small and then peel and chop the stem into smallish chunks.
1 can evaporated milk
pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon parsley
1-2 cups of shredded cheese. (I usually use medium because it is what I have in the fridge.)
Add fresh garlic if desired.

Start the stock boiling and then chop the veggies and add them in as you go. I add the seasonings after the vegetables are all in. Once the vegetables are cooked to your liking, add the milk and cheese. I never thicken it, but you can if you like it thicker.

Laura's notes: I made this with 2 large bunches of broccoli (stem and all) and 2 cups shredded cheese and it turned out well. David and I really like it. It made about 3.5 quarts.

No comments: