Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bacon with onions and apples

I've been doing a dairy version of Paleo (lacto-paleo), or grain-free, for the past week. Eggs seem to be making me sick in the mornings, so I'm trying other things for breakfast. Oatmeal and cereal are definitely not grain-free, so I've looked on paleohacks.com for some ideas.

Today I cooked 5 pieces of center cut bacon, 1 thinly sliced small granny smith apple, and 1 thinly sliced medium onion. I cooked the bacon first, then poured off most of the grease, then sauteed the apple and onion on medium or a little lower for 20 minutes or so until very soft. I ate it with the bacon, not mixed together but often some bacon and saute in each bite. It was so divine. I'm not going to eat bacon every day or anything, but this is definitely going to happen once or twice a week.

(I had center cut left over from some cooking light recipes, and I think regular bacon slices are longer so I'd probably only use 4 of those.)

David didn't try this. I ate it all. All mine.

According to daily plate, this meal is 406 calories if you assume 1.5 tbsp bacon drippings.

No comments: