Friday, January 11, 2013

Beef Liver and Onions - I

Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/absolute-best-liver-and-onions/
I have recently discovered that DH is a big fan of liver and onions. I have had chicken liver at christmas, but I've never had beef liver before, so I made it tonight.

It tastes a lot like chicken liver. And it wasn't disgusting, but it was definitely strange. I modified the recipe to use 1/2 and 1/2 coconut flour to almond flour, instead of wheat flour since I'm not eating wheat right now.

David didn't really like it. He said the texture was too soft, and that's because anything other than wheat tends not to crisp up well in a breaded crust.

Also, I made a pound of it and there was more than half a pound left. The servings on the link there are ridiculous, I'm sure it could feed at least twice what they put there if they used a few more onions.
I sauteed one onion per person, and that seemed about right.

I won't make this recipe again unless I'm eating wheat and I can get the breading crispy. But my Julia Child french cookbooks have several other recipes in them for chicken or beef liver. And there are a lot online too. So I'm not done with liver yet.

No comments: