Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pot Roast in the pressure cooker

This is based somewhat on this recipe:http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/perfect-pressure-cooker-pot-roast/detail.aspx with some modifications from caseykees.


I used a 4 qt cooker for this and a 2 3/4 lb chuck roast. The roast barely fit in the bottom. I put in 1/2 cup red wine (a pinot noir I think) and let it simmer in the pot while I seared the roast on all sides in another pan. I used 2 medium onions and cut them in quarters. I added 1 1/2 cups beef broth and 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce to the pot. I sprinkled seasoned salt, pepper, and onion powder all over the roast after searing. Next I put the roast in the pot and put the onions on the top and sides (wherever it fit).

I put the lid on and cooked it for 30 minutes after pressurizing. After that I did a quick release (cool water over the pot in the sink) and added the contents of a brown gravy packet to the liquid and mixed it in. Then I put in 5 or 6 (peeled) carrots that were cut in thirds as well as 3 large (unpeeled) potatoes cut into 4-6 pieces. The pot was almost totally packed at that point. The meat had shrunk some, and was about 140 F (rare). Then I put locked the lid back on cooked it for 15 more minutes after pressurizing. Then I did another quick release (pulled the cap off and let the steam escape).

Pressurizing takes at least 10 minutes, so doing it twice added at least 20 minutes of additional cooking time. Dinner was really late, but it was SO good. This would feed 5 hungry adults, probably 6 if the roast had been a full 3 lbs. The meat, potatoes and carrots were all perfect and tender.

It probably took 1 3/4 hrs to do the whole thing. It will be faster next time for sure now that I know better what I'm doing.

No comments: