Saturday, February 18, 2017

Overnight Oats + whey powder oatmeal test

I recently purchased some unflavored whey protein powder by Jarrow hoping it could mix into oatmeal and be undetectable. This is what works and what doesn't.

Oatmeal tests:
Add whey powder before microwaving oats/water: FAIL. The cooked whey absorbed water and was chunky and strange texture. It tasted ok, but texture is too big a turn off.

Add whey powder to hot cooked steel cut full liquid oatmeal: WORKED. The addition was undetectable to finished steel cut oats. I think I tried adding half a scoop, but I think a whole scoop would be fine too. Make sure to stir in quick. Only add it to oatmeal that has all the liquid needed.

I tried adding it to hot cooked old fashioned oats with only half the liquid (a microwave trick I do in order to add milk later) and sort of had to mash it in, then I added milk after. This had strange texture again. FAIL.

If I stir it into hot cooked old fashioned oats with full liquid, then x.

Overnight oats:
I like them. This is what I do:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats (the package says this is 40 grams, but 40 grams is actually more like a scant 1/2 cup. I usually do the scant or measure it by weight.)
3/4 scoop unflavored whey powder
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 cup 2% milk
1 tbsp maple syrup
fruit mix in, chopped strawberries are great or half banana.

Shake up first 3 ingredients in wide mouth pint canning jar, then add milk and let sit overnight. Add syrup and fruit before eating.

I'm sure I'll try more variations over time. The strawberry version has 30/13/54g p/f/c. 433 calories.

Another high protein breakfast to do is http://damndelicious.net/2016/07/15/healthy-protein-waffles/

No comments: