Tuesday, February 7, 2017

French Toast Casserole

http://fantasticfamilyfavorites.blogspot.com/2010/05/brazos-bakes-french-toast.html

French Toast Casserole

This was terrific. Leann made this for me post baby, and I liked it so much I made it tonight. I have been enjoying more bread lately, and made some this week. I used 3/4 loaf (but should have used a whole one) of this bread. (Because it was only 3/4 of a loaf I left out 2 of the eggs, but with a whole loaf I would use all 10.)

It is not clear from the directions, but this should be baked uncovered. You may need to cover near the end if it is getting too brown (I did not need to).

Alterations:
Instead of half and half I used 1/2 cup milk and 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese blended up. It was thick and worked well (also boosting protein in the dish, and much less fat). It would have been fine to do equal parts milk and cottage cheese also.
I also only put 4 oz cream cheese
and 4 T butter.

I think the butter is totally unnoticeable, I will leave it out next time.

David liked this dish. He usually does not like "soggy bread" dishes so I am glad he likes this.

No comments: