Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Sauerkraut II

http://wellnessmama.com/663/homemade-sauerkraut/

For this sauerkraut batch I bought a small organic cabbage head weighing 2.35 lbs. After taking off outer leaf and the core, it was 2 lbs, and I was able to fit it into my 1 liter fido jar. I added a little less than 1.5 Tbsp sea salt (I used Real Salt, no iodine added). I hand sliced it and then added salt and ~ 1 tsp caraway seeds. After letting it sit for around an hour in a large bowl, and tossing it whenever I happened to walk by, I pounded it with a meat tenderizer for a little bit.  It had reduced in volume and easily produced enough juice to be packed into this jar and be submerged in its own liquid. I did fold up the outer leaf to help keep floaters down. I did not add any whey or any other thing, as I wanted to do this *wild*. I plan to let it go at least 4 weeks. I put it under a towel so it will be in the dark.

Day 2: I pounded it a little more, and let out some air. Sandor Katz's recipe suggests doing more pounding up to 24 hrs in, since the cabbage continues to release more liquid.


No comments: