Thursday, April 9, 2015

Poblano & Chorizo Polenta (or Grits)

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/06/roasted-poblano-grits-with-chorizo/
Poblano & Chorizo Polenta (or Grits)

I used Bob's Red Mill Grits for this recipe. I used light coconut milk from Trader Joes in place of the milk, and the sweetness was a great contrast to the spiciness of the poblanos. (This brand of coconut milk is my new favorite since there is no thickeners added, and for many applications light coconut milk is perfectly adequate, especially when directly substituting for cows milk. It is also only a dollar per can, compared to $2.50!). I also mixed coconut oil into the finished polenta in place of butter.

I cooked a whole pound of bulk chorizo (from Hy-vee butchery) and we served it on the side, not mixed it. David liked being able to mix it in various ratios according to his likes.

Finally I served it with a ripe avocado that I sliced. And David put shredded cheese on his. But we all loved the meal. LOVED.


No comments: