Thursday, March 24, 2011

Veggie Pot Pie

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/veggie-pot-pie/Detail.aspx

I've been on a pot pie kick lately. Something to do with pie day perhaps. I made this pot pie for a vegetarian neighbor who just had a baby. I made one for DH and me too. It turned out pretty well. DH and I are definitely not vegetarian, but even so I think this dish could be improved by using a different kind of broth, and some porcini mushrooms for some depth of flavor. I used trader joes veggie broth, which is really carrotty I think. I actually made 1.5 times the recipe and it fit into 1 standard 9 inch pie dish and 1 deep dish 9 inch pie dish. I only did top crusts as well. I increased the cornstarch to 5 Tablespoons (for a 1x recipe, so for 1.5x I put in 7.5 T cornstarch). It helped make it a better thickness.

I followed the crust recipe recommended on the allrecipes link in the footnotes, which is here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crust-for-Veggie-Pot-Pie/Detail.aspx. (It makes a double crust). The crust was completely uninspiring. Don't make it again! I much prefer my crust recipe that goes with my chicken pot pie recipe.

No comments: