Wednesday, March 30, 2011

powdered milk rice pudding

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/fn_142.pdf

This was runny and not so great. I didn't let it simmer very long before adding an egg yolk so that might have made not be as creamy. I added an egg yolk to thicken it, but I should have added two. I might experiment with the powdered milk thing.

Next time: let it simmer for a while before adding anything to thicken it. The rice needed to break down more. Try it with short grain brown rice.

(note: if you thicken with egg yolk, make sure it doesn't boil. It will curdle. Just let it sit on heat for ~10 minutes stirring occasionally, but not boiling. Or bubbling.)

Update:
I've made this 3 times now. It isn't necessary to thicken with egg yolk if you let it simmer long enough. I cook it about an hour in all I think, or possibly more until it thickens. It is really obvious when it gets thick because the starch releases from the rice and makes it like porridge. Anyway, I like it.

No comments: