Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lemon Layer Cake with Lemon Curd and Mascarpone

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemon-Layer-Cake-with-Lemon-Curd-and-Mascarpone-107898

I made this cake for a friend's birthday. It was definitely time consuming, and very rich. But it was very delicious. I only made 2/3 the recipe for the frosting because I did not decorate the top. That was the right amount to cover the cake. But the cake is too overpowering with so much lemon. I used the juice from 7 lemons to make the whole recipe, and about a dozen eggs. Whew!

Next time I make this, I think I'll just use a basic two layer vanilla cake recipe and pair it with the frosting. I'll skip the lemon curd and syrup in the layers. The frosting needs about 2/3 cup lemon curd in order to make a 2/3 frosting recipe.

Also--the recipe for lemon curd was really good. It tasted very similar to storebought lemon curd that I have purchased. I think it would be better with less sugar and lemon juice though. The consistency was perfect. The recipe makes 2 cups.

No comments: