Monday, March 16, 2015

Meatloaf Meatballs

Meatloaf Meatballs from p 148 of Meals Made Simple.

These are great. They were very loose but still managed to hold together enough to flip and cook. Mine needed 25 minutes, but they were a little large I think. I also used pork sausage since I didn't have ground pork,and that made them a little bit more fatty than they should have been. As they baked a lot of oil came out, but they were still great. I made them with coconut flour.

The sauce was good. I used brown rice syrup instead of honey. The sweetness level was perfect, and I think the recipe was supposed to be like homemade ketchup (with a bit of mustard). It was great! I did use tomato puree in it, which I had never bought before. I've read that strained or crushed tomatoes would be equivalent to puree.

We ate these with rice and corn, but the rice is really not necessary. These really are like meatloaf and stand on their own.

No comments: