Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Apple Cake

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7915/german-apple-cake-i/

10/20/2016: Do this from now on: 4 cups diced apples (unpeeled is fine, dice small), green if you have them. Reduce sugar to 1.5 cups (still tastes very sweet), leave the rest of the recipe the same. It does cook in 45 minutes in my oven when spread out in a 9x13. You could probably halve the recipe but don't put it in a loaf pan, use an 8x8.

I may try reducing sugar to 1 cup next time and see if there is still the crunchy top. But will leave oil at 1 cup.

6/1/2011
I halved the recipe and baked it in a 9x5 loaf pan (with an extra 5 minutes). It didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, based on the fantastic reviews it gets online. I chopped the apples up in very small pieces, less than 1 cm, so maybe bigger chunks would be better. All the fruit went to the top and since it was in a narrower container the fruit layer was thicker than it should have been (i think) and too wet.

Anyway, it was very tasty. I will make it again with the full recipe sometime and that might improve the current "3" rating.

Update 7/9/2011:
I made this recipe again using the original sized recipe (in a 9x13 pan). I didn't change anything except that I did not peel the apples. And I used tart green apples (which I highly recommend, the tartness was a nice companion to the sweet flavor.) One thing I did do is coat the apples with some of the flour before folding the apples into the cake mixture. I read somewhere recently that will help prevent them from rising to the top. I think it worked too.
The crust on top was so good. I adore this cake. Rating has gone up for sure!

Lowfat/lowsugar version 2/1/2012:
I made this recipe again with half the sugar and substituting half the oil for applesauce. It did not have the awesome crust on top, and was more fluffy and cake like (I think the oil is important for the crusty top). David likes it better than the original. I think I will sprinkle sugar on top next time to get the crispy topping.

No comments: