Saturday, June 4, 2011

Rhubarb Cream Pie

I made this for easter. I think. It was a while ago:)

I put in twice the rhubarb it called for because I thought there wasn't enough. It turned out to be too much (in my opinion. Other eaters loved it, but it was too strong for me.) The recipe below is the original (unaltered) from Best Desserts cookbook, which is my favorite dessert cookbook.

I like regular rhubarb pie better. (without cream or meringue...)

1 crust pie.

Filling:
2 cups cut-up fresh rhubarb (do not use frozen)
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 cup sugar
2 T flour
1/2 tsp salt

Meringue:
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vanilla
6 T sugar

1. Prepare pie crust for one crust pie in 9 inch pie pan.

2. Heat oven to 400. Put rhubarb in crust-lined pan. In small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Stir in half-and-half. Add all remaining filling ingredients; blend well. Pour egg mixture over rhubarb.

3. Bake a 400F for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350F; bake an additional 40 minutes.

4. In small, deep bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla; beat at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add 6 tablespoons sugar 1 at a time, beating a high speed until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spoon meringue onto hot filling; spread to edge of crust to seal well and prevent shrinkage.

5. Bake at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes or until meringue is light golden brown. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled. Store in fridge.

No comments: