Monday, February 1, 2010

Eggplant Caponata


I adore this recipe. It is simple with few ingredients, but so full of flavor. It is not meant to eaten plain--you eat it on top of sliced sourdough bread (or regular french bread is fine). Don't wait too long to use your eggplant--it should be pale green and not brown inside. Whenever I leave an eggplant in the fridge for a week it has usually turned light brown and splotchy (inside) by then. I'm not sure if brown eggplant = nasty eggplant, but it probably isn't as good as it could be. The leftovers are awesome.
Note: I tried this with green bell pepper instead of red and it was definitely inferior.
Also, the last time I made this I didn't let the eggplant sit very long and it turned out very bitter. I'm not sure if that was a fluke or not. It was imported mexican eggplant.

No comments: