Monday, November 3, 2014

Coconut Shrimp Cakes

This recipe is from the Primal Cravings cookbook.

David normally does not like the texture of shrimp, but pureed in this way he thought it was doable. The cod masked the flavor too.

This recipe made 15 cakes, but I was short a 1/4 lb of shrimp so it probably would have made 2 or 3 more. I used a lot of coconut oil in the pan, I don't even know how much. I put it on 6.5 heat, and later turned it up to 7. I don't think my seafood was dry enough before I blended it up, because there was some extra liquid that probably made the mixture too soft and hard to roll up. The pineapple salsa was good on top. I used a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple that I'd drained the juice from.

This was a bit too labor intensive and took way more than 3-4 minutes per side to get brown. Maybe my heat was too low, but 7 will burn pancakes so I usually stay below it. When it was done there wasn't much oil in the pan, which meant it was all sucked up into the cakes. I wonder if any cooking oil was computed into the calorie index at the back. Either way, these were good but probably won't make the same way again.

I used Trader Joes Cod Pieces (which is a hilarious name) for this recipe.

I just found this recipe online for it: http://pilateswithpaige.blogspot.com/2013/09/coconut-shrimp-cakes.html And they recommend using trader joes pineapple salsa. I will totally do that instead next time.

Notes for next time: dry fish and shrimp, and make smaller cakes. Also, use cast iron skillet and just coat the bottom with coconut oil. My big red skillet made the oil pool in an O shape.

No comments: