Friday, September 5, 2014

Kimchi

So I made Kimchi. I followed this recipe: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2013/03/shou-chings-moms-kimchi/

The napa cabbage I used was 3 lb. Daikon radish was a bit over 1 lb, and carrot also a bit over 1 lb. One bunch of green onion. Two cloves of garlic. And 1-2 tsp fresh grated ginger root (approx the same as the amount of garlic I used).

I did everything in the food processor, using the shredder attachment for radish and carrot, and the blade for the other stuff. I skipped the chili powder and instead put in 5 dried red "super chilies" to get pulverized with the other stuff by the blade. (The chilies are from a csa veggie box I got last fall. Each dried chili was about 2 inches long and narrow. They are pretty hot!)

Then I salted the cabbage as directed, but probably didn't put a whole teaspoon per layer. Then after everything was mixed I added a tiny bit more salt, just so it tasted "pleasantly salty".

I put it all into a 2 liter fido jar and left it to ferment 7 days on my counter (but it might have been 8 days..I forget exacly which day I made it!).

And that's all.

Notes for next time: push the carrot/daikon through the shredder next time so the shreds are bigger. They were a bit too fine the first time because I tried not to push them down much.

No comments: