Friday, September 5, 2014

Canning Dried Pinto Beans

I had a bunch of dried pinto beans that a friend gave me and were sitting around unused. I thought I might try to pressure can them. The basic method is here: http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/04/how-to-can-dry-beans.html. I skipped the boiling step (based on some reader comments about the final result being too soft). So I just soaked them overnight and them put them into pint mason jars, added hot water with 1 inch headspace, then put them in my instant pot cooker/canner for 75 minutes.

That is the first batch. I made 8 pints of it. I opened one of the pints to check softness and it seems to be a good texture and not too soft.

I am going to sprout the rest of the beans. I plan to pressure can half of them (after sprouting) just like described above. Then after that, I will try to ferment the rest and try to can that. I haven't figured out yet if I ferment the raw bean, or the cooked bean.

Update:
The sprouted beans turned out just fine too.

No comments: