Friday, September 6, 2013

Vanilla Ice Cream

This is a slight variant of the recipe that came with my cuisinart ice cream maker. It is my basic recipe that I use most often.

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Make sure ice cream bowl is frozen solid. 5 hours in the freezer is not long enough. I made this after a 5 hour freeze and the ice cream turned out more like soft serve. I think it needs overnight at least.

Whisk sugar into the milk. It will take a couple minutes of whisking in order for the sugar to dissolve. (Some recipes tell you to heat it up, but I think this is unnecessary and just adds a lot of extra time since you have to get the milk cold again. The cuisinart recipe book uses the cold whisking method.)

Add cream and vanilla extract to milk. Pour into turning ice cream maker. It will take 25-30 minutes until done. Then it can "ripen" for 2 or more hours in the freezer if you like. But its not really necessary, you can eat it right away.

No comments: