Friday, September 6, 2013

Strawberry Ice Cream

Semi-based on http://simplystated.realsimple.com/2011/07/05/homemade-strawberry-ice-cream/
Strawberry Ice Cream

I made ice cream twice this week. The first was vanilla. This strawberry recipe is the same except you add pureed strawberries along with the cream and vanilla. The recipe link at the top tells you to use a pound of fresh strawberries, preserving half for chunks that you mix in at the end. I had less than half a pound of fresh (several days sitting in my fridge, getting old!) strawberries for sure, maybe only a third or fourth pound. I pureed them in my mini food processor as fine as I could, but that food processor isn't that great. (Everyone seems to have a real food processor except me. The mini one I have came with my emulsion blender as an extra attachment.)

Anyway. This was so so good. I couldn't believe how good it was.

So here it is:

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 lb or less fresh strawberries, pureed
more strawberries cut in chunks to mix in at the end, optional. (see top link for more info)

Make sure ice cream bowl is frozen solid.

Whisk sugar into the milk. It will take a couple minutes of whisking in order for the sugar to dissolve. Add pureed strawberries, cream, and vanilla extract to milk. Pour into turning ice cream maker. It will take 25-30 minutes until done. Then it can "ripen" for 2 or more hours in the freezer if you like. But its not really necessary, you can eat it right away.

No comments: