Thursday, April 28, 2011

quick mac and cheese

I made this up tonight, looking for something simple and easy. It took about 30 minutes in all.

couple handfuls of cut up swiss chard leaves
8 oz whole wheat ziti (or other kind of pasta)
2 cups milk
2 Tab flour
4 oz cheddar, grated or cut in cubes
salt and pepper

Cook the pasta. meanwhile, mix cold milk with flour and bring to boil. Let simmer a few minutes until starts to thicken. Then add cheese and some salt and pepper. Add cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir, turn heat to low. Cook swiss chard in leftover pasta water for a minute until wilted and dark green. Drain and put into the pasta. Stir and serve.

Update 10/3/2015:
I made this again with rice pasta and served it with leftover shredded pork. David gave it a 4 since there was meat served with it. I think that always improves a meal for him. Also, I cooked the pasta until it was almost done but not quite, then strained it and put the pasta into the cheese sauce. Then I let it simmer for a few minutes. It thickens up quite nicely. Also, I put in some green onion instead of swiss chard.

No comments: