Friday, March 5, 2010

Portobello Mushrooms and Polenta

This is a recipe from my San Francisco chronicle cookbook.

This was very different fare than we're used to, and I had strong aversion to one of the ingredients. David adored it though. I think it is my strong sense of smell that made me sensitive to the white truffle oil. I halved the recipe.

4 whole portobello mushroom, stemmed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T chopped fresh thyme
1 T chopped garlic
2 t chopped fresh rosemary
1 t ground pepper
1 t salt
3.5 cups water
3/4 cup polenta
1/4 cup mascarpone at room temp
1 T white truffle oil

One day ahead: Rub both sides of the mushrooms with olive oil, thyme, garlic, rosemary, pepper, and salt. Cover the mushrooms and refrigerate overnight.

1.Bring the water to a boil in a heavy pot. Whisk in the polenta, reduce heat low and cook until thickened and cooked. Stir constantly.
2.Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3.Combine the mascarpone and truffle oil and set aside at room temperature.
4.Place the marinated mushrooms in a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.
5.To serve, divide the polenta among serving plates. Top each serving with a mushroom and a tablespoon of mascarpone mixture.

Serves 4.
-----------
I added some garlic to the polenta to give it more flavor. Next time I make this, I won't use any truffle oil. It is too strong for me.


No comments: