Thursday, August 28, 2014

Spaghetti Sauce canning recipe

20 lbs roma tomatoes, stem area cut out
4 lb ground beef
1 lb sliced mushrooms (could have used 2 lb)
4 garlic cloves (could have done more)
2 huge onions (or 4 regular)
dried oregano, basil, thyme (two palm size amounts of each, ~1 inch diameter in palm)
salt- 4 palms (1 inch diam)
pepper - 1 palm


I did half of this recipe at once since I could only fit 10 lb in my biggest pot. I think 20 lb would fit in a 12 quart, but I only have an 8 qt pot.

Cut tomatoes in half, throw in pot with herbs. Let simmer for a few hours so some liquid can evaporate. Put through blender (for my blendtec I put it on level 5 for 10-20 seconds) in batches. Saute meat, mushrooms, cloves, and chopped onions (i did it one thing at a time and added to blended sauce when finished). Then sauce simmered for more time until thick and flavor was strong enough.

makes 14-16 pints. I can process 4 pints (wide mouthed or regular) in my 6 qt instant pot. I put in the rack, an inch or 2 or water, and push the steam button. Adjust time to 60 minutes for pints, 70 min for quarts (i did a quart on its side). Leave 1 inch head space, pour in hot liquid, put on lid and screw on band (not overly tight).

That's it. I did it over two days, with lots of down time and other stuff going on. It would have saved time if I had a bigger pot and a big pressure canner, but I have neither so made do!

No comments: