Thursday, June 13, 2013

Baleada Tortillas II - winner! / flatbread

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/03/fresh-homemade-flour-tortillas-in-no.html

I doubled this recipe and used lard from a local farm. It was fantastic. David said it tasted just like what he'd hoped, and similar to what he remembered authentic tortillas to taste like from his mission. I measured 16 oz of flour for this recipe and used less than 1/4 cup during kneading. For the water I microwaved 1 cup of water for 1 minute and the temperature was right. The dough was very easy to handle. Divide into 12 (or 6 for a single batch. I think the video says to do 8 per recipe, but that makes too small a tortilla). I let it rest in a large mass and split up after resting. Then I rolled out between two silpats. My octagon one is the perfect size, the tortillas were the same diameter as that one and were perfect.

If you use this for flatbread you could make them thicker. I think mine were around 7 or 8 inches diameter and they worked well as tortillas.

No comments: