Thursday, December 1, 2011

Turkey Broth / Soup

I made turkey soup with a leftover turkey carcass. To do that you need to make broth first.

To make broth, I first pull off whatever meat I can and put it in the fridge to add to the soup later. Then I use a cleaver and hack the bones apart a little if possible. I put the bones, skin, tendons and other stuff (except the meat I put aside) into a 6 qt slow cooker to make the broth. Then I covered it with water, probably 2-3 qts of it. Then I cooked it on low for nearly 24 hrs. After that, I pour it all through a sieve and into a stock pot. I pulled off some chunks of meat I'd missed from the bones, and put it with the other meat. There was about 2 quarts of broth. I put it in the fridge so the fat goes to the top. Then I can pick the fat off the top easily and reheat the stock for use in soup.

To make the soup I chopped 2 onions, a small celery bunch, and 3 large carrots and simmered for 45 minutes. Add the turkey meat and cook until hot again. I also season with 1 tsp salt, pepper, and italian seasoning.

No comments: