Sunday, December 19, 2010

Potato Latkes (pancakes)

This is from Joan Nathan's Jewish Holiday Cookbook.

10 medium russet or baking potatoes
2 medium onions
2 large or 3 medium eggs
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, bread crumbs, or matzah meal
Salt and white pepper
Vegetable oil

1.
Peel the potatoes if the skin is coarse; otherwise, just clean them well. Keep them in cold water until ready to prepare the latkes.
2.
Starting with the onions, alternately grate some of the onions on the large holes of the grater and some of the potatoes on the smallest holes. This will keep the potato mixture from blackening. Press out as much liquid as possible and reserve the starchy sediment at the bottom of the bowl. Return the sediment to the mixture. (or use a food processor)
3.
Blend the potato mixture with the eggs, flour, and salt and pepper to taste.
4.
Heat 1 inch of oil in a frying pan. Drop about 1 tablespoon of mixture for each latke into the skillet and fry, turning once. When golden and crisp on both sides, drain on paper towels. Serve with yogurt, sour cream, sugar, or applesauce.

---
When I made this for DH and me, I used 4 potatoes (did not peel), 1 egg, 1 onion, and 2 T matzah meal. We ate it all in one sitting.
---
Update 12/2012:
I made this with 2 peeled potatoes, big long ones. Like 8 oz each or so. Plus 1 egg and 1 egg white, and 3 T matzah meal. I think I forgot the onion, but it was good still. I didn't realize I'd forgotten it until just now. It was an appetizer for 4 people, with some extra left. I served with sour cream and homemade applesauce (6 peeled chopped gala apples, cooked in heavy pot, added 1/2 tsp chinese 5-spice powder and 1 T lemon juice).

No comments: