Sunday, December 5, 2010

Navy Bean Soup with Ham

I baked a ham (no glaze). I saved the ham water and used it as stock in this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 lb navy beans (or white..I really can't tell the difference)
4 T oil
2 large onions, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups chicken broth (or ham broth if you've got it)
3 cups water or broth ((use water if you are going to be clever and boil a ham bone in in the soup to get more flavor). I used chicken broth here. I might have added more so there was enough liquid. I forget.)
2 bay leaves
1 T italian seasoning
2 large potatoes, chopped
chopped ham (2 cups?)

directions:
I think I soaked the beans overnight and then made the beans in the crockpot. Cooked on low for 8 hrs I think, along with ham broth.

Saute onion, carrot, celery, and garlic until softish. Add beans (soaked or fully cooked) and the rest of ingredients. Boil until veges are cooked. (or for 2 hrs if beans were only soaked)

note: (I got this recipe off of the back of the Safeway Navy Beans wrapper. It says to use a 2 lb ham hock and cook it for 2 hrs with all the ingredients (and soaked beans). Then says to remove ham hock, cut ham off of it and return to soup.)

No comments: