Saturday, November 19, 2016

Pickled Beets

I had ~3.75 lbs of beets that I saved bagged in the refrigerator from the CSA season this year, and I canned them yesterday. I can process 4 pints (wide mouthed or regular) in my 6 qt instant pot. I put in the rack, an inch or 2 or water, and push the steam button. These were pints so according to the presto site I needed to do 30 minutes for beets and let it release on its own. 

I sort of followed this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/38109/pickled-beets/
I made half the brine suggested since I had just under 4 lbs, and added 1/2 tsp powdered clove to the brine, and I had a little brine left at the end. Also I did not put in a full cup of sugar, it was more 7/8 cup. I also halved the salt (so it was 3/4 tsp for the half recipe). I used salt without iodine.

I used a mix of red and golden beets. The red beets were easy to peel and I didn't need to use a peeler after cooking them (I used the pressure cooker to cook the beets too, I did 20 minutes and let it release on its own), but the golden beets I needed a peeler. I've never had pickled golden so we'll see how they are.

I was able to cram the beets into 4 regular mouth pint jars. It's amazing how they compress when already cooked.


No comments: