Monday, June 16, 2014

Press-in Gluten Free Crust

http://www.glutenfreegigi.com/gluten-free-vegan-pie-crust-press-in-pan/

I subbed 1 cup of trader joes gluten free flour mix (which is brown rice, white rice, and starches) for the flours in this recipe. I added the xantham gum and then used microwaved coconut oil for in the crust. It looked like a disaster at first until I added some cold water and then it thickened up into a pressable consistency. This was a bit thin for a deep dish 9 inch pan, but it worked well enough. It did stick in a lot of places and didn't come out as cleanly from the pan as a rolled out crust would. But it did save some time and effort, so I didnt' care! I used this as a crust for pumpkin pie. The coconut flavor went well with the pumpkin. David said he would eat it again for sure, so that's good enough for me.

No comments: