Saturday, April 5, 2014

Easy Beef Stew (pressure cooker or slow cooker)

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/20-minute-beef-stew.html
Pressure Cooker Beef Stew

I made about 2/3 the amounts listed here, but it all fit easily in my 4 qt pot. I think the full recipe would fit in the 4 qt. I did 20 minutes of high pressure, and then let it sit for another 10-15 without heat before depressurizing (since my husband wasn't home). I think that was helpful time. The stew was fantastic. I highly recommend. Also, I think it is a bit meat heavy.

Update:
I now use a 6 qt electric pressure cooker. Don't sear the meat. It just wastes time and I don't ever get a good sear anyway. Just dump in the meat. Here is a modified recipe based on the link above and this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beef-stew-vi/

2 lb stew meat
salt and pepper
1/3 c gf flour mix (Trader Joes)
4 c. beef broth
4 carrots, sliced
4 celery stocks, sliced
2 small or 1 large onion, chopped
1 T herbs de provence
3 large potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks
2 garlic cloves
1 T tomato paste

stir flour into meat w/ salt and pepper. Or, whisk into 1 cup of the broth. Add all ingredients. Stir and cook in slow cooker for 4 hrs on high, or 8 hrs on low. Or, set pressure cooker for 30 minutes (or push stew button). And let depressurize naturally for a bit after (if there is time.)


No comments: