Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chicken Posole

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-chicken-posole/Detail.aspx

This was so good. I love chicken posole! I altered the recipe by leaving out the water and only adding 2 quarts of chicken broth. I added a chopped green bell pepper which was a fantastic addition. Also, I put in 6 raw, skinless chicken legs at the beginning instead of shredded chicken breast. I used two cans of hominy.

Removing the skin beforehand is important so it doesn't get too greasy. This would work well with chicken thighs as well.

For next time:
I think for 2 quarts of broth, using 10 chicken legs would be better. Putting in extra garlic, two onions, two bell peppers, and a third can of hominy would be great.

Full Recipe:

2 quarts broth
10 chicken legs (skin removed)
2 onions
2 cans hominy (drained)
two bell peppers
4 T chili powder
2 t salt
1 t oregano
3 cloves garlic

saute chopped onions/garlic. Add everything except hominy and bell pepper. Simmer for 60-90 minutes. Add hominy and chopped bell pepper and cook another 15-30 minutes.

Variation:
I made half a recipe tonight. I used 1 qt broth, 1 can hominy, and halved the rest of the recipe. I put in 4 chicken legs with the skin removed. No green pepper. I had shredded green cabbage that we put into the soup as we ate it. It added a nice crunch and added some nutrition. I really liked the raw cabbage.


No comments: